Sunday, October 03, 2010

My Personal Plans for End of School Year


Dear Maplewood Parents and Families,

As many of you know, I use summer as a time to reflect, and to make plans, by heading into the wilderness and onto the mountains. This past summer, I did so again, and made an important decision that I want to share with you.  I have recently informed the District that I  will retire, effective at the end of this school year.

This was a difficult decision for me, because I cherish this community and this school. This will be the end of my 35th year in public education, and my 11th year at Maplewood as Principal. When I first began my work here, I was aware that there had been a lot of turnover, and promised that I would stay at least as long as my predecessors; little did I know that I would fall in love with this work, and end up staying here happily this long. The children, this staff, and this community constantly provide me with a fresh perspective on life to help me feel young, and excited to be here.

This work as a Principal has been the hardest in my life, but has absolutely been the most rewarding, as well. I have always been humbled by the importance of this work, and by the trust that you have shown me. I will certainly miss all of the children, and all of you, but I have decided that this is the best time for me to make this change, and believe this will be the right time to pass on the leadership of this school.

So, what happens now? First, I will be giving reassurances and attention to all the students for the next 9 months before I leave, so that they know they will be well-cared for. Secondly, our Human Resources leaders will want to hear from parents and teachers about our school needs. The usual method for this is to host a community meeting sometime this fall, where you can come and discuss this in person; they will also be sending out surveys for your input. At the meeting, they will explain the hiring process, including how members of the community can volunteer for the community interview committee.

Over the next few days, you might want to take a few minutes to tell your children. I know that change can be hard for some; your child may not be affected by this, and yet some of the kids may have a hard time with this type of change. I will be checking in with the teachers and with the students, and stay alert to those that may need more reassurance, or who have questions.

Lastly, and most importantly, I will be giving full attention to making this an excellent year for the students and a smooth transition to the new Principal. 


With warm appreciation, and my best regards,
 John