Friday, June 09, 2006

Principal Notes June 9, 2006

Dear Community,

THANKS FOR ANOTHER WONDERFUL YEAR OF SUPPORT! - I have to admit to people that I could fill up multiple pages here with apologies - apologies for the many great ideas people have suggested to me that I couldn’t get to; apologies for your many offerings of help for which I might not have personally thanked you; apologies for being gone so often to Principals’ Meetings; and apologies for not being able to communicate with you as much as I’d like. There are so many wonderful children, families, staff, and community members here, that I am awed and humbled. I am looking forward to next year, focusing on being back here at Maplewood. I finished my two year stint last week as Elementary Principal President and district-wide work, and always missed being here as often as I could. But I feel that the District is on very solid ground now, Maplewood continues to be strong, and believe next year will be a special one here.

I do want to pay particular attention to the support people here have given to our staff during difficult times: our wonderful teachers have experienced an unusually high amount of personal challenges this year, ranging from the birth of twins, premature births of grandchildren (with positive outcome), death or significant illness of parents, injuries, surgeries, and ending with the sad death of a loved ex-student. I am proud of the way the staff maintained their dedication and focus on the children here, and proud of the many offerings of support (and quiet patience) of the parents and community. And most of all, I am grateful for the gifts that your children give to us every day - the gifts of their energy, their resiliency, and their own particular talents, which keeps me excited to wake up each day and come to this school.

Please pay attention to the chances to get together this summer: the Maplewood Neighborhood Association picnic here on July 23rd, the Community Care Day here on Aug. 27th, Multnomah Days (on the same day as our school campout Aug. 19th), and the weekly gatherings on Tuesday evenings at April Hill Park. Please also communicate with me by email if you want to be added to my group email list, and watch the Maplewood website for other announcements. See you in September! John Blanck

FIELD DAY WAS FUN FOR EVERYONE! - Thank you to all the parent volunteers, teachers, other staff and students for making Field Day so much fun. We had great weather, wonderful enthusiasm and lots of water!!! Thanks also to the PTA for funding the yummy popsicles! Thanks again for all the hard work to make this event successful. Amy McCleskey and Annette Fagan

THANK YOU ALL!!! – Please accept my heartfelt thank you to each and every one of my dear Maplewood friends, families, students, and staff!! Never have I been so moved, been so honored and felt so appreciated. My feet still haven’t touched the ground. I had an absolutely awesome day and went home that night with a warm inner glow that will stay with me forever. My husband, Joji and I are really looking forward to going to the Seattle Mariners vs Colorado Rockies game on July 1st !! It’ll be so nice to be able to spend the night and not have to drive home after celebrating the Mariners win!! It’s my first day of vacation and Mariners Moose Bobble Head Night too! I’ll be adding a very special Bobble Head to my collection to remember my great gift from all of you. I have already enjoyed the warm, cozy Mariners blanket as I fell asleep with it watching the Mariners beat the Twins in the 11th inning that night. Go Mariners!!! I put “Ichiro’s” card in the slot on my lunchbox and have been using it everyday. The awesome basket, that all of the great gifts came in, has officially been claimed by my Siamese kitten “Monsieur Bleu”. I put an old blanket in the basket and he just curled up and started purring instantly, so he is also very thankful to all of you! And finally, I want to thank everyone who helped put my scrapbook together. It really is beautiful. Thanks to the students who all did an outstanding job on the artwork and to the teachers, Mr. Blanck, and the parents for putting so much time, thought and creativity into it. I get misty-eyed when I look at each very special page. It is proudly displayed on my coffee table and will be for many years to come. I thank you all for allowing me to be a part of your lives and for being able to be a part of this great school and community!!

Kathy Shimizu

Upcoming Events:

June 13 - All School Assembly @ 12:30 pm/5th Grade Promotion @1:00 pm

June 14 - 5th Grade Talent Show @10:00 am

June 14 - Last Day of School!

July 23 - Community Picnic at Maplewood 1:00 – 5:00 pm

Aug 18/19 -School Campout

Aug 19 - Multnomah Days

Aug 27 - Community Care Day at Maplewood @ 10:30 am

Sept. 6 – First Day of School in fall for grades 1 through 5

Sept. 11 – First Day of School for Kindergarten